Gas appliances need to be serviced regularly to ensure they are working properly and efficiently. If they are not serviced regularly there is a risk that they could emit carbon monoxide gas. It has no smell so it's very difficult to detect and can be fatal.

Gas safety checks

We will make an appointment for you each year and send you a notification by post. It is important that you keep this appointment or contact us to rearrange to a date that is more suitable for you. You can do this by calling 01772 666 091

At the annual gas safety check, we check the safety of customers’ own gas appliances. Our teams will also provide annual safety checks for unmetered gas supplies and solid fuel installations. 

We will provide and maintain carbon monoxide detectors in locations where we have provided open flued gas appliances (i.e. fires, ovens and hobs)

When the engineer calls

Our gas engineers are Gas Safe registered and carry a Gas Safe Register ID card. They'll check that your gas installations, appliances, pipes and flues are safe. The engineer will leave a card asking you to make another appointment if you're not in.

We will post you out a copy of the landlord safety record within 28 days of completion.

Do I have to do anything?

Make sure someone over the age of 16 is at home for the appointment you've been given. If you need to change it simply call or email us to rearrange a time that's more suitable for you.

We may have to force entry if you do not let us in to carry out the check and you could be charged for this.

Please be aware that it is part of your tenancy agreement to allow access for gas checks and as the tenant it is your responsibility to make arrangements to allow us access.

For an external meter, if we have been unable to gain access, we may automatically cap the gas until we are able to carry out the gas safety check.

Gas Leaks

If you can smell gas:

  • Turn off the gas supply. The main gas on/off lever can be found next to your gas meter
  • Open windows and doors. This will allow any gas which as built up in your home to disperse
  • Do not turn on/off lights/sockets or light any matches. Switching lights on, etc, can often generate sparks which could be enough to ignite any escaped gas in the air
  • Ring the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is invisible, odourless and tasteless but it can kill quickly and with no warning. Unsafe gas appliances produce this highly poisonous gas. It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas. When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.

Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include Paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to many illnesses, including food poisoning, flu and simply being tired. Because of this, many people ignore the signs.

There are six main symptoms to look out for:

  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • breathlessness
  • collapse
  • loss of consciousness

If your symptoms only occur when you are at home, they disappear when you leave your home or get better when you return or other people in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time this could also point to carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you experience symptoms and suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to the hospital – tell them that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
  • If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline 0800 111 999

Don’t assume your gas appliances are safe: get a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to do a check. This is the only safe way to prevent yourself and those around you from incurring serious illness or death due to carbon monoxide exposure.

Spotting the signs of carbon monoxide

Your home may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home. Get your gas appliances checked to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
  • Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Increased condensation inside windows
  • Coal or wood fires burning slowly or going out.
  • Fire is difficult to light
  • The room is not properly ventilated
  • The chimney or flue is blocked and smoke enters the room
  • Developing the feelings of tiredness, headaches, chest pains, drowsiness, dizziness or nausea.

Why should I get a carbon monoxide alarm?

Because carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour, the Gas Safe Register strongly recommends you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home.

While an alarm will alert you to carbon monoxide in your home, you will still need to have regular checks conducted by a Gas Safe registered engineer. 

A carbon monoxide alarm looks similar to a smoke alarm and is very easy to fit by following the manufacturer’s instructions. This will state the correct position, which will be within a metre of the ceiling and on the opposite side of the appliance. You can purchase a carbon monoxide alarm for under £20 at your local DIY store, supermarket or from your energy supplier.

Before purchasing a carbon monoxide alarm, always make sure it is officially approved to the EN 50291 standard. It must have a British or European approval mark on it, such as a Kitemark.

You are particularly at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping, as you may not be aware of early carbon monoxide symptoms until it’s too late. We do not recommend using the ‘black spot’ detectors that change colour when carbon monoxide is present. These will not make a sound to wake you up if the poisonous gas is present while you are sleeping.

What preventative measures can you take against carbon monoxide exposure?

  • Ensure that there is always enough fresh air in the room containing your gas appliance and ensure that vents are not covered
  • Ensure all appliances that are your responsibility are serviced regularly for safety by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • If you plan to sleep in a room with a gas appliance in it, contact us for advice
  • Do not use unflued appliances like paraffin heaters and cabinet heaters
  • If you have a solid fuel appliance newly installed, please make sure you receive permission and notify Derwent Living, so we can ensure it receives the correct checks. This includes log burners. Always get chimneys swept at least once a year by a qualified sweep

Solid fuel safety

Although there is no legal requirement, once a year we service the open flued appliance and inspect the chimney. You will receive a letter arranging an appointment for us to carry out these works.

On the day of the service, you will be unable to light your fire until the service has been completed.

The service will take approximately two hours, and we make sure to leave your home clean and tidy. We will use dust sheets to cover furniture and floors.

Useful links


Emergency repairs

All emergency repairs need to be reported by phone. Please call us immediately on 01772 667002. The line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 

Emergency repairs that should be reported immediately include:

  • Gas leaks
  • Uncontainable water leaks
  • Complete loss of heating and hot water
  • Electrical or fire risk
  • Property security

An emergency repair is any problem that could be a security risk or cause harm to you, another person or to your property.