You'll need written permission from us before you exchange. Contact the customer service centre to ask whether you have the right to exchange your home.

In most cases:

  • Secure and assured tenants have the right to exchange homes
  • Assured short-hold tenants and some tenants occupying purpose-built units do not have the right to exchange
  • There may also be certain limitations for supported housing tenants.

You'll need written permission from us before you exchange.

We can refuse permission in certain circumstances; for example if you have rent arrears or your property is in poor condition.

What you need to do

Once you've found another tenant and you're both happy with each other's property:

  • You need write to us and ask permission to exchange
  • We'll send you an application form to complete and send back
  • A Place Manager will call to see you.

We'll need to check some details before agreeing to the exchange. These include:

  • The size of the household you wish to exchange with
  • Your rent account - this must be clear and there should be no possession order on your home
  • The condition of your home.

We'll let you know in writing if the above checks are satisfactory and both landlords agree to the exchange. You and the other tenant will need to sign important documents before moving.

Make sure you:

  • Arrange to look round the property more than once and in daylight
  • Find out whether the other tenant intends to take any fittings they've put in, such as kitchen units, fireplaces or heaters.

Our conditions will apply to the tenant you're planning to exchange homes with. We may visit their property. We won't:

  • Correct any damage caused by the tenant
  • Accept responsibility for replacing any fittings they've taken
  • Put back to their original state any non-standard alterations that have been done
  • Do any internal redecoration, including any damage caused by removal of fittings.

Both tenants are responsible for making sure they leave their properties in a safe condition. You will not be entitled to compensation for any improvements you have made to your property.

Your rights

You'll normally keep similar tenancy rights if:

  • You exchange with another Places for People tenant
  • You exchange with a tenant with the same type of landlord - such as a housing association - and you both have the same type of tenancy.

You will need to check that you have the same type of tenancy agreement.

Secure tenancy agreements may offer more rights and lower rents than assured tenancy agreements. You should never consider exchanging with someone who only has a licence agreement or short-hold assured tenancy.

Some rights and conditions may be different if you're exchanging with the tenant of a different landlord. For example, you may lose (or gain) the right to buy your home. The rules for your landlord increasing the rent may also be different.

To help you move register on HomeSwapper. All tenants can use this service free of charge to find a mutual exchange partner anywhere in the country.

All tenants can use the free HomeSwapper service to find a mutual exchange partner anywhere in the country.

Register on HomeSwapper